Saturday, August 6, 2011

REVIEW: Shadowflame by Dianne Sylvan

Shadowflame (Shadow World #2) Shadowflame by Dianne Sylvan
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

CAUTION: Spoilers

I have mixed feelings for this book. I liked that the book wasn't predictable, that a mainstream UF have LGBT characters that actually play a big role instead of being a gal-pal's BFF, that the author had no qualm killing off characters. Yet I was totally pissed off about David's infidelity.

You think Miranda would dump his ass but it's too bad she can't—she would die. Seriously. Because of the stupid soulmate bond, if she even spend three days without close physical contact with David, both of them will suffer anguish. And three days is stretching it. I guess the moral of the story is: just because you're soulmates doesn't mean he can't still cheat on you. Poor Miranda.

However unlike other reviewers, I do not believe the author plotted this hugely distasteful subplot to piss off the readers. In short life is unfair, even if you're undead. The author beat down the message that the vampire world is a harsh world. Being a vamp may makes you immortal, but it doesn't stop your ass from being staked...or poverty in one paragraph where it was stressed any sensible vampire should learn the stock-trade. And when you got an eternity to live, it's not within the realm of impossibility to find other people you might love, regardless of the "soulmate" bond. Vampires are not humans, not anymore. This isn't happy-vampy Twilight.

The only redeeming thing about David's infidelity is that it was very realistic for him to still have feelings for Devin. It always seem so hugely convenient in some soulmates-themed romance for the lovers to forget about their past partners as if they never happened. No way am I excusing him for his infidelity, let's call it for what he is: he's an asswipe. Nonetheless, I'm still pissed off. Even as I understand what the author is plotting and why she's plotting it, it doesn't necessarily mean I have to like it—I don't. =( It's always a huge gamble for an author to deal with a touchy subject such as infidelity.

Even with all the crap Miranda has been dealt with, it's amazing she's still not a Debbie-downer. I'm loving how Miranda has little problem using her power to deal what needs to be done, unlike LKH's Anita Blake who bitches and moans every time she uses her succubus power (even in self-defense!).

Amazon GoodReads

Post a Comment

You can also comment on the Goodreads version of my review. Click on the rating located in the beginning of my review to get to the webpage.