Thursday, February 2, 2012

REVIEW: Come & Play: Video Games by Juniper Gray

Come  & Play: Video Games Come & Play: Video Games by Juniper Gray
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Come and Play: Video Game is a sweet short story that begins with two college students playing a shooting video game. Soon, Matt brings up the sex topic, creating an awkward but sexually tensed moment. Rafe is bi, Matt is straight... or so Matt thinks. Told in 3rd PoV from Matt's side, the 3800-ish words story takes place over a month and focuses on Matt trying to come to term about his sexuality and feelings toward Rafe.

Gaming

There are two video game scenes in total, one at the start and one at the end. Even though the video game was of a shooter genre and I'm only familiar with the RPG genre, I understood the lingo perfectly. Plus, the story transitioned smoothly from the action in the video game to the action in the living room where the young men are gaming. Never once in the story did I feel lost or didn't know the setting.

Readers not attracted by the video game part of the story need not to worry. The story could have easily began with Matt and Rafe watching TV or playing a sport together. The story is not about the hobby, but about two guys sexually experimenting and possibly finding love.

Sexual Content

The sexual content includes two groin groping scenes, a blowjob, and a kiss. The story mostly relies on sexual tension for its heat element. If you're going to read this, do it for the romance and not for the sex.

Short Story Too Short?

The ending was, at the very least, a HFN. I generally dislike short stories because I frequently find them lacking. This short story was no different. I thought the ending was too short for my liking. I would have prefer it Matt and Rafe did the deed and the story ended with them cuddling in bed. I did not care a wit for the fade in black sex scene and the promise of tru wuv for an ending. Therefore, I rate the story 2-stars for it was okay.

Amazon GoodReads

Post a Comment

You can also comment on the Goodreads version of my review. Click on the rating located in the beginning of my review to get to the webpage.