Tuesday, December 11, 2012

REVIEW: A Tale of Two Daddies by Vanita Oelschlager

A Tale of Two Daddies A Tale of Two Daddies by Vanita Oelschlager, illustrated by Kristin Blackwood and Mike Blanc
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Curious about his playmate’s eponymous parents, a boy asks a girl many questions to which she cheerfully answers. The boy would ask two questions, and the girl would give two answers forming a cycle of questions and answers. I liked how the answers aren't always “daddy did this. poppa did that,” that there was variety to keep the narrative fresh. Instead of being repetitive and therefore dull like a rock, the narrative was rhythmic and catchy.

Each question and answer had an illustration on top. The illustrations are big and bold, simple in detail but vibrant in color. They reminded me of the clip art in Microsoft Office, to be honest; that’s a compliment. While I liked the illustrations, I found it odd how the story never showed the daddies’ face. Instead, only their body parts were shown, commonly their legs from feet to waist. I didn’t like this style of showing a child’s PoV. It weakened the mental picture of the family for me.

I rate A Tale of Two Daddies 3-stars for I liked it. I wished the illustrations showed the daddies’ face, but overall I enjoyed the book.

Amazon GoodReads

Post a Comment

You can also comment on the Goodreads version of my review. Click on the rating located in the beginning of my review to get to the webpage.